Halloween…Some Christians are repulsed by it while other Christians participate in it. How could this be? Well, Halloween falls into the category of “disputable matters” (see Romans 14:1). So how do we approach disputable matters? Here are some great questions derived from biblical teaching on Christian liberty that I learned from another pastor that I want to share with you. Here are the questions to ask yourself when considering any issue (not just Halloween) that falls into the category of “disputable matters.”
- Edification: Will this activity produce spiritual benefit?
- Enslavement: Will this activity lead to spiritual bondage?
- Exposure: Will this activity expose my mind or body to defilement?
- Esteem: Will this activity benefit others, or cause them to stumble?
- Evangelism: Will this activity further the cause of the gospel?
- Ethics: Will this activity violate my conscience?
- Exaltation: Will this activity bring glory to God?
Some Christians will participate in Halloween tonight without giving it much thought. Others will avoid it like the plague. Wherever you are on the spectrum, I hope you find this post helpful towards the end of making God-honoring decisions with your life!