At church we hear much more about Christ’s First coming (where Jesus came to earth to die for our sins) than the Second Coming (where Jesus returns to the earth to rule and reign for a thousand years). Although Christians are most familiar with the First Coming of Christ, it’s the Second Coming that gets the most ink in the Bible. In fact, the Second Coming is one of the best-attested promises in all of Scripture.
- References to the Second Coming of Christ outnumber references to the First Coming of Christ by a factor of eight to one. That is, for every 1x Christ’s First Coming is mentioned in the Bible, his Second Coming is mentioned 8x.
- Scholars count 1,845 biblical references to the Second Coming, including 318 just in the New Testament (that’s an average of one verse in every twenty six that the New Testament refers to the truth of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ).
- 17 of the 39 Old Testament books talk about it, as do 7 out of every 10 chapters of the New Testament.
- The Second Coming is second only to faith as the most dominant subject in the New Testament
- And Jesus himself referred 21 times to his Second Coming.
- 20% of Bible is prophecy. 33% of the 20% are references to the Second Coming.
- 660 general prophecies in Scripture, 333 are about Christ, 109 were fulfilled at Christ’s First Coming and 224 will be fulfilled at Christ’s Second Coming.
- Of the 46 OT prophets less than 10 speak of Christ’s First Coming, 36 speak of his Second Coming.
- 1,500 Old Testament passages reference Christ’s Second Coming.
- 1 of 25 New Testament verses reference Christ’s Second Coming.
- Were told in the Bible over 50x to be ready for his return (his Second Coming).
This is such an important event that it’s worth the effort to learn all we can about it. If you missed church this past Sunday, you can catch up online at www.newdaychurch.cc/sermons. Just search for week five of our Scarlet Thread teaching series. And be sure to download the lesson notes to help you follow along with the message.